(0:01) SO HIGH by MALES
(2:16) MIND/MOOD by BLUFFING
(4:12) WILDERNESS by BRIDGE COLLAPSE
(7:00) SAY WHAT YOU WILL by MEMORIAL GORE
(9:49) SICKNESS by RADIOACTIVITY
(11:20) EASE UP by 3108
(13:20) DANCE SHOES by LITERATURE
(15:44) WAHOO by MEATBODIES
(18:53) AMBITIOUS PEOPLE by NEGATIVE SCANNER
(20:30) CRACK ROCK AND ROLL by SANDRATZ
(22:45) INSECT EYES by NOTS
(25:18) CRAMSEY by BAKED
(26:49) AGING FACES by PURLING HISS
(29:39) FALLING SKYLINE by COLD BEAT
(32:11) UNCONSCIOUS MELODY by VIET KONG
(35:09) SAND MANDALAS by STEPHEN STEINBRINK
(38:30) CIRCLE LIFE by FANCY PANTS
(42:26) FOR THIS STRUCTURE by ESTROGEN HIGHS
(45:47)BIRTHDAY SOG by FRANKIE COSMOS
(46:53) INTERSTATE FOREVER by DICK DIVER
(49:12) SHE’S A BOMB by ULTIMATE PAINTING
(52:36)NONE OTHER THAN by The PAPERHEAD
(57:09) COMFORT by FLOWERS
(59:33) WIR ZWEI by KLAUS JOHANN GROBE
(1:04:47) BIEDERMEIER-PSYCHEDELIA by TARTU POPI ja ROKI INSTITUT
(1:07:01) ZONK by DISCO DOOM
(1:08:33) BLACKTHORN by Mt. ROYAL
(1:12:00) DIAMOND CORNER by DISCO DOOM
(1:13:07) REAL.NOW.LOVE by JERRY PAPER
+(1:16:08) A probably horribly annoying mashup of KATE BERLANT and JOHN EARLY, two grads/hosts of our CRIME & PUNISHMENT tuesday comedy series. They said they wanted to be on some best of 2014 lists…so yeah. We’re immensely proud of those two!!
+CODA: (1:18:49) UNTIL IT ENDS by POP ZEUS [RIP MIKEY HODGES]
Hey everybuddy! 2014 was a crrrazy year of catharsis for me (a big move in August after being in the same place forever, and a sad/depressing cat death soon after moving in, among other things), with an insane amount of venue closings, some great amazing friends and associates involved in those closings.. Weird year. I spent a lot of the year listening to old CDs/records that were being decided upon to spend money moving to another house, or toss in the goodwill dumpster. Obviously my Genesis records made the cut.
Lots of good stuff though this year.. I always try to represent here great, perhaps underheard, stuff that either passed thru CS, or I just need you to hear. That, and every apparently every release on TROUBLE IN MIND. I left out a lot of records I truly also loved, because you love them too… (ANGEL OLSEN A++, SHARON VAN ETTEN A++, ARIEL PINK A++, FUCKED UP A++, PAINS OF BEING PURE AT HEART A++, NUDE BEACH A+++, LIARS A++, , MOUNT SHARP A++, PRINCE RUPERT’S DROPS A++, PROTOMARTYR OF COURSE A+++++, OBITUARY A+++++++++++), plus records I just couldn’t fit on this thing that deserve mention by PLAINS, PALE LIGHTS, DOUG TUTTLE, TEENANGER, ZULA, blah blah blah, your band, my band. I listen to a ton of shit you guys.
SPEAKING OF SHIT: LOVE ALWAYS AND FOREVER, things we lost this year that we really think the world of::::my cat and cake shop posterbaby Bryan Sapperstein-Hernandez–Long-Lang, Nash the Slash, Letha Rodman Melchoir, Christo Buffam, Glasslands, Vivian Girls, Death By Audio, Mikey Hodges, Joe Cocker, Bereket, my old apartment, Bobby Keys, Casey Kasem, Mike ichols, Peter Gutterridge, Jack Bruce, Ian McLagan, iPod classic, Bobby Womack, Scott Asheton, don Pardo, Goodbye Blue Monday, Jan Hooks, HR Giger, Rik Mayall, Joan Rivers, Roseland, Harold Ramis, Edward Herrmann, Ultimate Warrior, Dave Brockie, Joey Lacaze, Death Grips and the everyone/everything I forgot.
…2014 was a decent B+ year for CAKE SHOP, as always thanks to only you guys. Your patronage literally means our world and livelihood. As said before, the people who love us and get us are the best people in the entire universe, and we actually literally love you. Best to you and yours in the new year, truly from the bottom of our hearts. Here’s to a bright 2015.
-∂ß and everyone at CAKE SHOP and CAPE SHOK.
[wpaudio url=”http://capeshok.com/blurry_bitters_2013/BLURRY_BITTERS_2013.mp3″ text=”<<BLURRY BITTERS>> A CAKESHOP’S BEST OF 2013 MIXTAPE!!” autoplay=”0″]
…Hi, everyone. Here’s this years continual jam for the end of the year sake-of-it.. 38 songs, one hour 49 minutes of play. Sorry? Loved all these bands releases this year. Some were 3 song demos, others came from favrourite full-lengths.. one from a lifer like Sebadoh – who everyone knows, but maybe hasn’t heard for a bit. bands like Eleanor Friedberger & Pissed Jeans that many know and should constantly be reminded are awesome. A few from bands that formed a month ago and maybe aren’t even together anymore. Some CMJ favourites. Some locals who have been around a little while, and released amazing records to little notice. A band whose worst nightmare might be being included on this comp. Anyway, please love it:::
(0:01) Your Dark Sunglasses Won’t Make You Lou Reed: BILL BAIRD [la] :: a timely-by-accident hit I was rocking way before the news hit. Love this song, and Bill is a pop mastermind.
(3:21) Psychic Cat: INVISIBLE HAND [charlottesville] :: Amazing track from my favortite EP this year, “Aja”. Brilliant and such a great underrated pop rock unit they are.
(5:57) Keep The Boy Alive: SEBADOH [westfield, MA] :: This is from their EP ‘Secret’. let it brew, the chorus is one of their best, and that’s saying alot.
(9:46) Palmreader: SONNY & THE SUNSETS [sf] :: Fave track of the masterful new record. Sonny Smith is just the best.
(12:50) And Its Not So Pretty: THE WRONG WORDS [sf] :: Incredible record that maybe you slept on. just buy the thing. A+++
(15:53) Star Gazer: WARM SODA [sf] :: Super shiny glammy pop who should really have a trading card at the bottom of some Wonder Bread somewhere sometime. Love these dudes.
(18:10) Secret Surprise: JOANNA GRUESOME [wales] :: Invigorating to say the least. you know them by now but you don’t mind their on here, right?)
(20:43) Rain: ENGLISH SINGLES [sacramento] :: Boundless eternal god-pop from the sacto wizard Scott Miller (thankfully alive) lord of The Bananas, Ski Instructors, Bright Ideas, Nar and a million other bands.
(22:29) Casting Shadows: LEGS [oakland] :: Nothing entirely new but still the most welcome vibe/sound of all time. Incredible debut record, buy the thing.
(25:25) Dead In The Water: POP ZEUS [brooklyn] :: possibly defunct pop outfit made up of Hector’s Pets and The Memories fellows. Mikey’s hooks are meathook-y.
(28:30) Stare at The Sun: ELEANOR FRIEDBERGER [brooklyn] :: In my opinion, single of the year. The bends in the lyrics float me for days. She’s the best, so individual.
(31.23) Flyin Low, Maria: GUN OUTFIT [olympia] :: Something amazing and sorta late 80’s SST about this record. love it.
(35.00) Talk About The Weather: COUCHES [sf] :: Catchy casual guitar pop with a real heft, this song reminds me of the great pre-Versus band Flower.
(39:01) Alone With You: DOG DAY [halifax] :: Longtime loves of CS, from the new LP. Can’t beat Dog Day.
(41:42) Small Things: PRE WAR [brooklyn] :: Can’t get enough of their debut record…
(45:49) Fortress: INVISIBLE DAYS [brooklyn] :: Did a residency with these homeys in sept for a reason
(49:36) T A R T O V S K Y: BODEGA BAY :: An underproduced gem of a tune that will warm the heart of whomever you want it to warm. Band shows alot of promise with this tune.
(51:28) Devil Sign: RAD DREAMS [brooklyn] :: Try getting this song out of your skull. Larry Bonk please play more.
(53:49) Hot Hed: CALIFORNIA X [MA] :: Quality powerampage skate-y rawk less in the Dino J fashion than most people think.
(57:44) Pale Piss: WEIRD WOMB [nyc] :: Local fungrunge with the pathos we require
(1:00:06) Coffin: EAGULLS [leeds uk] :: Dark but somehow life-affirming rock from Leeds. love these guys.
(1:03:19) Party City: LAZY ::: [kansas city] :: Party oddballs and super awesome funzos
(1:05:54) McMicken Afternoons: TWEENS [cincinatti] :: New on French Kiss and some of the best vocals of now.
(1:07:43) Malt Licker: NANCY [brooklyn] :: NYC’s version of the Spits, or our new Ramones, u decide.
(1:09:12) All The Lessons: CALL OF THE WILD [brooklyn] :: So much fun live, and killer record.
(1:12:23) Overdrive: AMERICAN SHARKS [austin] :: Fist pumping fast metal party anthems forever ruleOK etc
(1:14:20) Shot: PAMPERS [nyc] :: Amazing, newish, dark and just good.
(1:15:56) Cathouse: PISSED JEANS :: Can do no wrong.
(1:18:26) Lusty Climbing: RASPBERRY BULBS :: Ultimate black metal vibe sewer punk with the riffs and mystique. Feel like an ass describing it.
(1:21:33) Gladhander: GREYS :: Tight punky fury from Toronto, who are clearly just hatching all this great brooding punk from its treetrunks
(1:23:26) Wojtek: ROOMRUNNER [baltimore] :: Delicious twists and turns from these ex Double dagger princes.
(1:27:31) Yawn Factory: SPRAY PAINT [austin] :: No Wave in the A Frames tradition, which is awesome because I miss that band.
(1:30:06) Det Er Det Her Det Hele Handler Om; Elektrisk Guitar Og Dans: FRISK FRUGT [denmark] :: ex KIRSTEN KETSJER, solo world pop of the highest order by Anders Lauge Meldgaard. Totally unique.
(1:32:22) Las Edades: JUANA MOLINA [argentina] :: haunting folk pop from an old favorite of mine. New gorgeous record.
(1:36:19) MIST (Winter): WHITE HILLS [brooklyn] :: Huge expansive space rock riffs and tons of power from these unsung-ish local mens. Sorry its so long.
(1:42:30) An Old Peasant Like Me: EXPLOSIONS IN THE SKY & DAVID WINGO :: found myself listening to this ALL THE TIME. David Wingo is probably my favorite current movie score dude.
(1:45:48) Rain: EXPLOSIONS IN THE SKY & DAVID WINGO
(1:46:47) Aerodeliria: THE LOUD FAMILY [RIP Scott Miller] :: Miss this guy with all my heart. Please seek out Game Theory and Loud Family records if you are curious about what pop can be capable of. In alot of ways I see Scott as the Henry Darger of pop. no one sounded/arranged/wrote like him and he was truly his own unique self.
Also loved the crap out these more popular and unpopular releases: KURT VILE’s Waking on a Pretty Daze (*****), DOTT’s “Small Pony”, that MOLLY DRAKE reissue, OH-SEES of course, NOBUNNY, CRASH OF RHINO’s “Opener” (but not so much the rest of the record), AUDACITY [live especially], That PARQUET COURTS EP, DEERHUNTERS truly great ‘MONOMANIA’, JACCO GARDNER, !!!’s fun-ass return with ‘Thr!!!er’, TERRY MALTS, GRANT HART’s wonderous “The Argument”, TEENANGER, OTHER COMFORT’s demo, BOBBY JEALOUSY, HAUSU’s great LP on Hardly Art, This amazing THE LINES reissue that I should have bought three years ago on Acute, a bunch of metal and thrash I downloaded to aid in running an extra few miles, SLONK DONKERSON, MIKAL CRONIN, SPEEDY ORTIZ, all the great stuff Captured Tracks is reissuing – especially that BIRD NEST ROYS comp, LIQUOR STORE, PAPER FLEET!!, CATE LE BON’s masterful MUG MUSEUM, JOURNALISM, BEACH FOSSILS, DAN FRIEL, JUPITER BOYS demos, KINGSBURY MANX, SURVIVAL, that insane new CHROME outtakes comp….so much more. I have a deadline, so I must stop now. Oh wait..there’s a demos by a band called CONTINUOUS CYCLE OF WHITEFISH, who are making me happy on a daily basis. They might change their name..I’ll let you know.
RIP & NEVER FORGET: the BEST SHOW on WFMU #bestshowforlife, KEVIN AYERS, LOU, NELSON, MICK FARREN [who we had a ham/swiss sandwich named after!], MAX FISH, MOTOR CITY, LIVING ROOM (holy shit, Ludlow!!?!), DEAD HERRING, ZEBULON, BIG SNOW BUFFALO LODGE, CLIVE BURR [iron maiden’s first drummer], JUNIOR MURVIN, BONNIE FRANKLIN, TIM WRIGHT [of DNA], KAREN BLACK, JASON MOLINA, RICHARD STREET [temptations], JOEY LaCAZE [eyehategod], ANDY JOHNS, STROM THORGERSEN [Hipgnosis], ALAN MYERS [of DEVO], FAYE HUNTER, ESTHER WILLIAMS, DONALD BYRD, & GERI LYNN DANIEL [friend and beloved bartender at many of our favourite bars in the east village..we miss you so much already]…
Here’s my actual full-length records/top 7 logged-most-time on my iPhone (keeping this part short for emphasis):
7. ELEANOR FRIEDBERGER “Personal Record [Merge]
6. LEGS “Pass The Ringo” [Loglady]
5. PRE WAR “My Friend, The Enemy” [Self Released]
4. WRONG WORDS “Everything Is Free” [Trouble In Mind]
3. AMERICAN SHARKS “American Sharks” [The End Records]
2. RASPBERRY BULBS “Deformed Worship” [Blackest Ever Black]
1. SONNY & THE SUNSETS “Antenna to the Afterword” [Polyvinyl]
2013 was a good year for CAKE SHOP, ONLY thanks to your patronage and continued love and support. Also thank you to Terrorbird, NYC Taper, and Panache for sticking with us for another run of incredible unforgettable CMJ shows. The people who love us are the best people in the entire universe, and we actually literally love you. Best to you and yours in the new year.
-∂ß and everyone at CAKE SHOP and CAPE SHOK.
<<BLURRY BITTERS>> A CAKESHOP’S BEST OF 2012 MIXTAPE!!
[wpaudio url=”http://capeshok.com/Cakeshop%27s%20Truly%20Best%20of%202012/CakeshopsTrulyBestof2012.mp3″ text=”Cakeshop’s Truly Best of 2012 Mixtape!” autoplay=”0″]
Here’s my awesomely fine selection of bands and songs that stayed on my iPhone the LONGEST (isn’t that that only way to tell we love something anymore?)? The mix is descending in a way…I love all of them, but my very favourites are at the end. XOXO to you all in the new year, these bands saved my life, as it was truly one of my least favourite years for anything else other than rad tunes from cool bands.
1. Almond Man – PRINCE RUPERT’S DROPS [Beyond is Beyond is Beyond] – Always loved this band, and so glad there’s finally have vinyl proof of that love ,and that i’m not alone
2. On Our Own – DUNE RATS [self] – Surfy punky australian funboys. they totally mean it. see them live & late at night.
3. Showers Of Pain – PUNKS ON MARS [ZooMusic] Mozarty funpop, updated milk & cookies, unbelievable & this single. holy moly!
4. A Little Past Midnight –GAP DREAM [Suicide Squeeze] Hazy dreamy killers from cleveland. love them.
5. Puts Me To Work – CATE LE BON [Control Group] Cate will never write a bad song. To have that superpower must be incredible!
6. Our Last Words – GLASS ANCHORS [Capeshok] Annie and pals always golden, love this track so much from the EP
7. Is It Honest? – WOODS [Woodsist] – …Probably my favourite single song of the year. Absolutely beautiful.
8. Miracle – RADAR EYES [Hozac] – Feelgood riff of the year award. The whole album is so great.
9. Cupid #2 – MAD SCENE [Siltbreeze] – Incredible perhaps last record by the legends xoxo and this song is so good.
10. Sit On It – DARLINGS [self] – Not sure if this came out in 2012, maybe next year. Amazing start to finish from one of NYs very best. Wish we could put it out.
11. Prime – MIKE WEXLER [Mexican Summer] – Wexler always just blows me away with anything he does.
12. Prettyboy – DAN DEACON [Domino] – A warm burst of sheer beauty from the mastermind.
13. Friends Of Friends – HOSPITALITY [Merge] – A new way to rewrite pop is all I ever want from life.
14. No Can Do – LADYHAWK [Triple Crown Audio] – Worth the wait 2012 record from these Canadian heavyhearted bros that I know will never cease to make me feel incredibly good.
15. Walking Down Your Street – NUDE BEACH [Other Music] – I listened to this record in June or July so much that i puked (it was from warm beer though)
16. Paul – TYLER JON TYLER [Rococo Records] – Oops – i just found out this song is two years old, but the live show from this year remains my favorite show at cakeshop this year. Such a great, great, great band.
17. Milo Minute – GRASS WIDOW [HLR] Our heroes. In love with anything they do.
18. Light Up Gold – PARQUET COURTS [Dull Tools] – Without question, Album of the year for sure. I feel like it was written just for me. Can’t talk about this record without getting annoyed when other people say they love it too, like any true music snob. See them live.
19. Invade Your Dream – OUTSIDE WORLD [Night People] – Absolutely my favourite new band of this year. completely floored and in love, listened to them more than any other band this year. Sweet male female unison harmonies. wowowow. You get it, I love ’em.
Les Honerables all also awesome: DIIV ‘oshin’, VIOLENT BULLSHIT, ETERNAL SUMMERS (still haven’t heard the new one what the hell is wrong with me), RICK ROSS, ICE CHOIR, PUJOL “United States of Being”, FERGUS & GERONIMO, ANDY STOTT, VIOLENS, BLEEDING RAINBOW ‘yeah right’ , DENT MAY at CMJ, CHAIRLIFT, DIKES OF HOLLAND, TEEN’s ‘In Limbo’, SEBADOH ‘secret’ EP, NIGHT BIRDS, ROYAL HEADACHE recorded and live, my GO-GO’s cover band, NAOMI PUNK, RIFF RAFF, THE YOUNG ”dub egg’, TODD BARRY’s ‘super crazy’, TY SEGALL ‘twins’, this LAME DRIVERS cdr, BLACK MOTH SUPER RAINBOW ‘cobra juicy’, FRENCH KISSING, the guy who mailed me the great lost PEER GROUP album, STEVIE JACKSON, buying this BENJAMIN ORR record i always saw for $1 and changed my life this year, CHILDISH GAMBINO, PINS OF LIGHT ‘II’, HOLLOWS ‘vulture’, DEATH GRIPS, ALLAH LA’S, MIKE KROL, ANDY HUMAN, DOTT, PAULA ‘relaxed fit’, AVA LUNA live (i think Ice Level came out last year right?), LOWER DENS, SONOI ‘tropics of holland’, ALLO DARLIN singles, putting out the MOONMEN ON THE MOON, MAN 12″ (since we broke up its now like $5 – lemme know if u want one), discovering JENS CARELIUS (wish he put something out this year), HALF UNDRESSED demos, KILLING JOKE, DIRTY PROJECTORS, DUSTIN WONG ‘dreams say create’, HOLOGRAMS, THE TRYPES reissue, BANKWIDTH demos, JAILL ‘traps’, DOPE BODY, golly, there’s probably a million more. Thanks to everyone who helped us stay open earlier in the year. It was a rough one and pretty damn glad the year is being binned. 2013 will totally rule!!
Thank you to good dude Jim Campbell for some assistance.
A delectable compendium of our favourite CMJ pick hits for this week
Click below to listen online
1. MORE QUICKLY by SQUAREHEAD (7:30pm FRIDAY)
2. SHOWERS OF PAIN by PUNKS ON MARS (11:15pm WEDNESDAY)
3. ON OUR OWN by DUNE RATS (7pm FRIDAY)
4. HIPPY by GHOST WAVE (10:30pm WEDNESDAY)
5. A LITTLE PAST MIDNIGHT by GAP DREAM (3:35pm FRIDAY)
6. BIRTHBAY by HALF UNDRESSED (9pm WEDNESDAY)
7. EYES OF LOVE by MURALS (10:45pm SATURDAY)
8. BEST FRIEND by DENT MAY (4:45pm SATURDAY)
9. TOLERANCE by HEAVENLY BEAT (3:45pm SATURDAY)
10. YOU GUYS ARE GONNA WAKE UP MY MOM by FIELD MOUSE (11:30pm SATURDAY)
11. BROKEN ARROWS by FRANSISCO THE MAN (10pm SATURDAY)
12. UNDERTOW by DAYTONA (2pm SATURDAY)
13. CREATURE PLEASER by GRACIE (12:15am SATURDAY)
14. ISSUES by SUPREME CUTS (2am SATURDAY)
15. ALL MY CHILDREN by IROK (12am WEDNESDAY)
16. SLEEPLESS by FLUME (3:10pm WEDNESDAY)
17. WAVVY by MYKKI BLANCO (4:30pm WEDNESDAY)
18. SALT DAYS by WIN WIN (1:50pm WEDNESDAY)
19. DYSTOPIA by ZZZ’s (1:30am WEDNESDAY)
20. MOONLITE by HELIOTROPES (5:15pm THURSDAY)
21: RABBIT HOLES by MAGMANA (8:30pm SATURDAY)
+ one for next year:
22. INVADE YOUR DREAM by OUTSIDE WORLD
YEAH THANKS EVERYONE follow these awesome bands!! @razika @ringodeathstarr @rainbowbleeding @avalunaband @weddingpresent, and us at @cakeshopnyc @capeshok
yes you will
But you Know you really want the VINYL
Moonmen on the Moon, Man are playing Friday, Feb 9th with WITCHERS & MEGALIFE at THE GUTTER 2+10=12
This site is still somewhat under construction, but you can now buy a couple vinyl records at our new ONLINE STORE, which is all hooked up with paypal etc. Look for Moonmen on the Moon, Man’s new E.P. in there, but also coming soon to itunes and cool record shops near you!
Come back laterrrrr. The site is new. We’ll be adding details about our bands soon.
YOU GUYS EVER SEE THIS? CAKESHOP circa 2007! awesome right?